Vote YES on 2B!
- Referendum 2B will regain lost air service into the Yampa Valley Regional Airport
- Every time you spend $100, 25 cents goes to support increasing air seats
- Other current funding sources remain in place:
- Ski Corp.’s contribution is first in, at a minimum of $1.1 million annually
- Local Marketing District continues to contribute 2% lodging tax
- 2B will generate up to $1.3 million annually to regain air service into Steamboat
- Approximately two-thirds is supported by visitors, with one-third from local residents
- Referendum 2B helps jump start our economy and sunsets after 5 years
- According to regional economist, Scott Ford, airline seats generate jobs; every 92 passengers support 1 additional local job
- Every 1,000 passengers generates $1.11 million in local spending, based on 2008 CDOT study
- Without Referendum 2B, winter available airline seats are projected to decrease by 50% from 2007/08 levels, within 2 years
- Air Service supports Steamboat’s economy and quality of life
- Without Minimum Revenue Guarantees, Steamboat will lose all nonstop flights, with the exception of Denver express service
- Without air service, the number of visitors to Steamboat will decrease dramatically
- Mail-in ballots only; Look for yours in mid-October
- Vote YES to 2B by returning your ballot by November 1, 2011
- Call 970-819-7935 or volunteer to help.
In the News:
YES to 2B
Referendum 2B raises critically needed funds to guarantee airline service to the Yampa Valley Regional Airport, strengthening our economy, securing local jobs and protecting our quality of life. As a result of dramatically increased costs and the recession, our air service has decreased over the last three years by nearly 30%. If this trend continues, the adverse economic results to all of us will be significant. 2B is needed to reverse this trend and ensure that Steamboat remains a premier vacation destination.
Air service is one of our community’s most important economic drivers. It serves not only visitors, but also local residents and their families, and location-neutral companies and individuals throughout the region. The reality is that airlines will not provide regular, consistent and sufficient non-stop air service to a smaller community like Steamboat Springs unless a certain level of revenue is guaranteed. Currently, the voter-created Local Marketing District (LMD), in partnership with Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation (Ski Corp.), oversees the air service program with approximately half the funding collected from a 2% lodging tax and the “Fly Steamboat” program and the other half provided by Ski Corp. While the amount committed by Ski Corp. has increased, collections from the LMD lodging tax and “Fly Steamboat” have decreased and a gap in funding of roughly $1 million needs to be met. 2B will meet that need, and then expire in five years.
Without reliable non-stop air service, Steamboat will be less competitive with other resorts and our vacation-based economy will suffer. Funds generated from 2B, together with funding from the LMD and at least $1.1 million per year from Ski Corp., will be dedicated to regaining this vital air service.
It currently costs less than $30 to subsidize a seat for a single passenger who will spend roughly $1,100 while here.
Referendum 2B is a wise investment to protect local jobs today and grow the economy tomorrow.
VOTE YES ON 2B FOR YOU AND YOUR COMMUNITY.
VIEW THE SAMPLE BALLOT QUESTION: